Monday, September 23, 2013

Let's Make a Cake!

So it's my turn to write something & I am feeling a little anxious as Jules has proclaimed me the better more creative writer.  Truth be told she is only saying that because I use to help her write some papers in high school & really that is where my writing career started & ended.  However I am determined to do this.  I will probably start off slow & I can guarantee that I will break most of the rules of grammar but I am going to try my bestest! (<See, told ya)

I have been out of commission the last few weeks after I crushed my finger to bits saving my daughter from a falling boulder.  That sounds so very dramatic, I realize.  I can only imagine how much more dramatic its going to sound through the years as I retell it adding more & more gory details about the dramatic rescue.  That is one of the joys of being a mother isn't it?? acquiring stories to one day use to guilt your children..or is that just me. (I'm sure you are quickly seeing who the better mommy is on the Sassy Mama blog)

Now I can post some gnarly pics of my mangled finger, however since this is supposed to be a Blog sharing all the crafty stuff we do I guess I will share my first project since the stitches came out.

I was asked to make a 40th Birthday cake...I was sent some inspiration cake pictures showing shoes, purses,make up & flowers & a request for the color purple...So here is what I came up with using that criteria:



Now at the risk of destroying the illusion that I am so very talented at this cake decorating thing here are few tricks/steps etc. because really anyone can do a cake like this it 
really isn't that difficult.

First...I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what I am doing...I took two basic classes at Michaels which were great & I learned the "jist" of it, and then I take that knowledge & just wing it & figure it out.  I continue my education by watching Cake Boss, Cupcake Wars, Ace of Cakes stuff like that.  I probably should take more real classes & really apply myself...but I don't. 
(are you also seeing who is the more "go getter" Mama)
The point is you can totally half ass this & still make really cute cakes...PERFECT.

So Lets Break this down.  First cover your cake in Fondant
 (this is what I consider the Basics which the Wilton cake classes teach very well.)


Then use cookie cutters to cut out shapes in the fondant you want to decorate your cake with.  To attach them you can use some special sugar glue thing they sell or you can use...a glass of water & paint brush...try & guess what I use. 
(have I mentioned I am the cheapest chic you will ever meet) 

 Now to get the cool print you can buy those Sugar Sheets things for only $3.50.  They are awesome they have a piece of thick plastic on one side which allows you to trace whatever shape you want with a sharpie & then cut it out & glue it right where you want with 
your magic potion...water. 

To cover where the fondant meets the bottom & looks unfinished you can use frosting or little balls of rolled fondant which I love to use.  The way I like to make the balls is I make my 16 year old son pry himself away from FIFA & come down & roll them for me. He complains & hates me the entire time...it's my favorite.  I then "glue" them on & take credit for them.

As it is you have a pretty cute cake...BUT..it's all about the details



For the shoe I found this awesome YouTube video where this girl gives a really good tutorial & she also has a template you can find by simply googling> fondant shoe template < in google images.  That Template was so simple & helpful & amazing & I sorta love the girl who made it thus saving me lots of trial & error & made me look cool & talented.(See the illusion slipping away).  For the change purse I just kind of winged it molding it & such 
& attaching two silver balls to the top.

Behold the template assembled...AMAZING

and  here is the you tube video tutorial I liked..also I do not use any recommended tools I may have to spend money on, I use whatever I can find that I think will work

http://youtu.be/z3IPKUnIuGw

Since I have no idea how to Blog yet & my teenager is not home to teach me you may have to copy & paste that link.




A few more details: the pearls are balls of fondant (I rolled these myself) and I threaded them with nylon string and attached them with frosting.

The lipstick is 3 different sized cubes attached with..you guessed it water. Cut the lipstick at an angle with a regular old butter knife. & smoothed it out.
The lid was yet another cube & MAC was written with edible marker. 

The little flowers are cut out with cookie cutters, with tiny little white balls glued in the center.

All of those details were attached with frosting.  When I say frosting I do not mean Duncan Hines it needs to be cake decorating icing which you can buy in a container just like 
Duncan Hines in the cake decorating section.

TA DA! That's it! Cake complete! Now I know this is not very professional. Its not the best cake you will ever see & I certainly didn't do everything the way they would teach me in the class (which I really should take)  The bottom line is with a little bit of knowledge, and a few steps all of us moms out there can make really cute cakes for our parties.  There is no reason to spend hundreds at a fancy bakery.  Of course if it is a high end party or a wedding or some other once in a lifetime event I would hit the fancy bakery because I am pretty certain they HAVE taken All the classes & it will look really good and everyone will oooh & ahhh...but if it is your 5 year olds birthday party... I say give it a try yourself & guess what I have learned? Everyone 
will still oooh & ahhhh & you will feel so cool like a Cake Boss.

...and just because everyone likes getting there backside checked out now & then here is the cake from behind ( have you also figured out who the more inappropriate Mama is)






No comments:

Post a Comment